Lake Fishing Fly Rods
Float Tube Lake Fishing
For float tube fishing I personally prefer a longer rod. It’s just plain easier to to hit that cruising fishing from a float tube with a longer rod than a short rod. Don’t get me wrong your river 9′ 5 wt is just fine from a float tube. I just personally prefer a longer rod, I have spent a lot of days a year of Lake guiding from a float tube. For most float tube lake fishing the Diamond² 10′ 4 weight Fly Rod can be be an absolute blast to fish with. My personal favorite is the Prestige X-GS 10′ 5 weight. Length balance, and agility make this the perfect fly rod for float tubing. Pair with a Spectre Reel and Thistledown line and you are on top of your game.
For someone just starting out the Classic Fly Rods are a good beginning point. Classic Fly Rod paired with the Classic Reel and Thistledown line will work in any situation, even fishing your favorite river.
Lake Fishing Backpacking and Day Hikes
Alpine lakes in Colorado wilderness areas is another aspect of stillwater fly fishing. How I am dressed is just as important to what rods I am fishing. Hiking clothes, fly fishing apparel I always carry a extra set in the pack to ensure safety and comfort. I do love lake fishing from a float tube but packing a backpack on hike in 3 to 10 miles. Spending the day or a weekend in a wilderness is most refreshing. Fly fishing rods for this type of outdoor adventure I prefer to carry two rods. And they both fit in the same tube.
My first choice if conditions are right with dry flies is the Prestige 7′ 6″ 1weight rod. With the delicate presentation floating fly line 80′ foot accurate casts every time. I use the Spectre reel as well on this rod, a great balanced combo. If I have to cast small streamers or nymphs I switch to the 7′ 3weight classic fly rod. For Lake Fishing Stillwater Fly Fishing Rods in a alpine situation this is a great rod, I have thrown #6 wooly buggers and leeches with a Thistledown Fly line and this rod with great joy. Alpine lakes offer great back casting room with little or no brush.
On your next day hike or weekend trip, make sure to pack your fly rods and box of flies.
Bass, Muskie, Pike, and Panfish from a Float Tube
Warm water fish from a float tube adds a great new dimension to outdoor adventures. On the Muskie and Pike I use big streamers up to 11 inches in length. Tactics can very from trolling streamers to cruising the shoreline, casting into structure with a plethora of techniques. For Pike and Muskie I use a 7 weight most of time, I do have a back up 8 weight for Tiger Muskies in some situations.
Bass and Panfish such as bluegill and perch can be fished on the surface with Poppers. As well as streamers and nymphs, Bass are suckers for dragonfly nymphs. Bass and Panfish can be successfully fished for with 5 weight rods or larger with ease.
Fly Rods for Lake Fishing Specifications and Features
Prestige G-XS Fly Rods
- 4-piece ultra lightweight carbon/Graphene blank
- Lighter, Stronger and Superior tactile feel.
- Fast action with high lift snakes for extreme distance casting
- Snowbee tri-modulus carbon technology
- Deep bronze finish with matching whippings
- Anodized silver/gold aluminum reel seat with maple burl wood insets
- Original Purchaser Lifetime Guarantee
Diamond² Fly Rods
- 4-piece blanks
- Latest in carbon design and technology
- Finished in lustrous olive-green color
- High-quality cork handles
- Burl wood insert reel seats
- Lightweight, up-locking, anodized diamond design reel seat
- SiC lined stripper rings, high-lift snakes and oversize tip rings for effortless casting performance
- Comes with matching cotton-drill rod bag and a strong Cordura covered rod tube embossed with our leather “fly” logo
- Original Purchaser Lifetime Guarantee
Classic Fly Rods
- 4-Piece Rod
- Fast action blanks generate high line speed for maximum distance.
- Lined stripper rings, high lift snake intermediates, and oversize hayfork tip rings.
- A-grade cork handles.
- Lightweight black aluminum reel fitting.
- Fixed butt extension on #6-7 weight rods
- Finished in a rich hazel color with matching whippings.